My evergreen tree is turning brown. What is causing this?
Unfortunately, there are numerous tree diseases that infect evergreen trees and that are common throughout Fort Worth and the DFW metroplex. Below are two of the worst fir tree diseases that you should be on the look-out for.
- Pine Tip Blight: This lethal fungal pathogen thrives in wet spring Texas weather and is spread quickly by winds and rain. Its host tree of choice is Austrian pine but it targets Douglas fir, Ponderosa pine and the numerous evergreen varieties that are common in our area. Early symptoms of this lethal disease are stunted growth, brown needles and premature needle loss. Needles begin turning brown on the lower branches and proceed to the upper limbs. In the advanced stages of infection the tree’s vascular system shuts down and tiny black dots appear on needles and pine cones. As pine tip blight will kill the tree rapidly if treatment is not administered quickly, it is important to call an arborist that treats sick trees immediately when your evergreen tree is exhibiting brown needles.
- Seiridium Canker: This lethal fungal pathogen prefers mature Leyland cypress trees; however, no fir variety is safe from its destruction. Leyland cypress flourish throughout Fort Worth and they are often planted to establish privacy areas so it greatly damages the appearance of your outdoor environment when seiridium canker destroys your evergreen tree. This deadly disease spreads swiftly throughout your entire outdoor grounds by means of wind and splashing rain. Random brown branches appear amongst green healthy-appearing branches and tree experts refer to this as “flagging”. Without treatment, seiridium canker will destroy the tree. It is of the utmost importance to contact a tree doctor promptly when you notice these brown branches.
How do I know if my evergreen tree has A disease?
Enlist the expertise of a tree care specialist. They will examine your evergreen tree and complete a tree evaluation report. After diagnosis of the tree disease is confirmed, the tree expert will administer the specific treatment required in order to rid your evergreen tree of the destructive pathogen and restore the tree’s health.
What can be done to eliminate the disease and keep my evergreen tree healthy?
- Remove dead or severely diseased trees: An arbor care company that has extensive experience in tree removal must promptly remove and destroy all ground debris, tree stumps and dead or severely diseased trees from your premises. This will eliminate the fungal spores and prevent the deadly pathogen from spreading throughout your outdoor grounds and infecting your other trees.
- Regularly-scheduled tree pruning: Dead, brown and infected tree branches must be pruned by a tree pruning service using sanitized equipment. Regularly-scheduled tree pruning will ensure that deadly diseases do not spread throughout the structure of the tree and that the branches will receive adequate sunlight and air circulation.
- Ensure there is proper drainage: Compacted soil, standing water and areas with excessive soil moisture frequently occur in established Fort Worth neighborhoods. These areas impede proper drainage and can damage the root systems of trees. The experienced tree company will examine your outdoor grounds and rectify compacted soil and areas that are prone to excessive moisture and poor drainage.
- Avoid unintentional wounding: Deadly tree pathogens most often invade trees that have been wounded or have abrasions. Wounding can occur unintentionally by mowers, weed trimmers and shovels. By entrusting your regular lawn care and the planting of decorative plants to a professional arbor care company they will ensure that no careless wounding occurs to your prized trees.
- Deep root fertilization: This tree care health treatment is of prime importance! Most homeowners do not realize that topical lawn fertilizer is not sufficient in providing trees with the nutrition they require. A highly-specialized tree expert injects under pressure the exact liquid minerals and nutrients that the tree needs directly into its root zone. The injected oxygen aerates the soil and corrects soil compaction issues. Trees that receive this health-boosting treatment annually are 95% more disease-resistant and will have strong root structures.
- Continual tree health care maintenance plan: It is important to protect your valuable investments. Beautiful, healthy trees enhance your residential outdoor environment, provide cooling shade, lower your electric costs and tremendously increase your property value. The best arborist in Fort Worth, Texas will personalize an ongoing tree health care maintenance program unique for you and your residential needs. You will have the peace of mind in knowing that your residential outdoor grounds will always make you proud and that the health and vitality of your trees and plants will remain protected.